Cloud migration delivery is a pressing issue right now for a lot of organisations as they scramble to modernise and digitally transform the way they work.
Migrating your existing on-premises resources & application services to the AWS cloud for most is an extensive project, and demands a clear strategy and preparedness to investment to help achieve the desired results.
Over 73%* of cloud migrations take longer than a year to complete, and 62% of companies consider cloud computing projects to be more complicated than they thought they would be. This stat has led to 55% of organisations, exceeded their assigned cloud budget.
The stats prove that you MUST choose the right AWS cloud integrator to partner with, and have a clear, strategic plan to ensure timely completion of the project, and stay within budget.
Here are my six tips for migrating resources & application services to AWS to help you achieve your cloud computing objectives.
6 tips for migrating resources & application services to AWS
1. Find a first-class AWS Migration Partner
Crucially, unless you've got serious in-house capability, do not plan for AWS migration on your own. Search for an experienced, reputed and knowledgeable partner with the necessary AWS technical and strategic expertise.
2. Understand your businesses objectives
A thorough discovery, planning & assessment phase around the current and pending business needs is essential. This includes a complete deep dive into the interdependency of applications, resources, processes, and data that will be impacted by cloud migration. The phase also includes a careful and detailed analysis to weigh the financial considerations of on-premises center versus employing a cloud-based infrastructure. Furthermore, there is a clear need to understand what the business will be focusing on post-migration.
3. What approach will you use to migrate?
There is no single way of migrating. Strategy largely depends on business needs and what you're looking to achieve migrating to the cloud. You can certainly leverage the 6 AWS R’s migration strategies namely Rehost, Replatform, Repurchase, Refactor, Retain and Retire.
For instance, if you want to upgrade your applications, you will need a repurchase strategy. On the other hand, if you have legacy applications and timing is essential, then a rehost approach might be best.
So understanding what you want and how you want it, is crucial to deciding your approach. Olikka can assist in creating your approach.
4. Choosing the right AWS services
AWS has an extensive set of tools, services, and resources. Some of the tools include:
- AWS Application Discovery: Collects pre-migration insights
- AWS Migration Hub: A progress monitoring and tracking dashboard
- Amazon S3 Transfer Acceleration: Optimises bandwidth to enhance rapid data transfer to Amazon S3
- AWS Database Migration Service: Reduces downtime by keeping the source database running during migration
- Rsync: Copies data directly into S3 buckets
- TSO Logic: Leverages predictive analytics to make data-based recommendations
- AWS Snowmobile: Migrates data exabytes in batches
- Amazon Kinesis Firehouse: Gathers and ingests streaming data sources
- Amazon Snowball Edge: Migrates petabytes of data batches, applies onboard storage, and offers computing capability
5. Run a security & compliance assessment
As you move to the cloud, your data governance requirements will change. Do a pre-migration security review, particularly if your business has to comply with regulations. A security & compliance assessment should include:
- A review of data destruction parameters
- Policy reviews
- Main concerns around availability, durability, and confidentiality of your data.
- A review of access control and encryption standards
- Planning for a post-migration decommissioning
6. Identify Repetitive Processes and automate
A lot of process during application migration can be repeated. Save costs and time through automation, leaving you with more time to focus on the strategic aspects than attending routine activities and processes.
*Statistics provided by TechRepublic