Olikka is now offering their technical and business expertise to manage the deployment and integration of Microsoft Azure Files.
Azure Files is one of Microsoft’s cloud services, offering fully managed file storage and sharing capabilities. Consolidating files in the cloud has numerous benefits, including:
- Outsourcing system management, reducing large investments in infrastructure and maintenance
- File sharing capabilities across multiple locations
- Scripting and automation capabilities
- Increased resiliency and disaster recovery
- Easy integration with applications running in Azure
The trade-off for the above benefits is slower file access times for on-premise users and applications. To mediate the slower access, you can replicate the access speed of locally stored files using Azure File Sync. It works by caching the most frequently accessed files. Installing Azure File Sync on a local Windows server will enable users and applications to access cloud files locally.
Some common use cases for high-speed centralized file storage are as follows:
- Replacing or enhancing on-premise data centres and file servers
- Migration of on-premises applications to the cloud
- Storing configuration files for distributed applications
- Storing reports, metrics, and logs which can be accessed locally by system administrators across multiple locations
Azure Files at Wyndham City Council
To facilitate Wyndham City Council’s strategy for transitioning from on-premise IT infrastructure to cloud-based infrastructure, Olikka has devised a solution based on Azure Files following a rigorous Server and Application Migration Analysis.
Wyndham City Council handled seven terabytes of data using a traditional file server with DFS Namespace. This included application, user, Citrix and other administrative data. Considering the council’s existing investment in deploying Microsoft Azure solutions, Azure Files has been the optimal solution for increasing the efficiency of data storage and management.
The council is now reaping the benefits of a centralized and managed file storage system with high access speeds. Resiliency has been increased with robust disaster recovery capabilities, and any additional sites, servers and endpoints can be easily added to the network and accessed quickly. All this has been implemented with minimum impact to users and operations.